Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting solution is associated with storing and/or sharing specific web content on a web hosting server handled by a website hosting vendor. There are various kinds of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's have a glimpse at these. Thus, you can choose what you need, based on whether you'd like to own a blog, mailbox accounts, or to share files with mates and partners.
- File hosting: a solution furnished by various file storage providers, which lets you share immense files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only goal is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting accounts frequently include advertisements by the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a particular interval of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely erroneous explanation of the literal connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would apportion the tasks at hand between autonomous sets of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different web site hosting services (email, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a variety of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; some suppliers offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting type is suitable if you would like to share a big quantity of images with buddies or associates since the solution is commonly free of cost. You will obtain a random link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a service committed to tackling your email addresses. Some firms provide website hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an e-mail hosting service. If you would like to own a mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can set up e-mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video file, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video file brings about a particular amount of CPU load, so with several video files and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have a hard time with your hosting resources. Embedding the video file will permit you to utilize as many video files as you want without hassling about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to keep a site. To some extent, it consists of all of the abovementioned hosting kinds since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and electronic mail accounts, upload video clips, etc. At 2SmartHosts, for example, you can observe web hosting and dedicated server hosting plans that allow you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one single location. There may be limits based on the sort of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting package may be better or worse compared with the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are purposed for specific web content exclusively.